China to continue working with Pakistan against terrorism: Chinese FM Spokesperson
BEIJING, AUG 24 (Gwadar pro)-“China will continue to work with the Pakistani side, to jointly counter the threats of terrorism and earnestly protect the safety of Chinese personnel, institutions and projects in Pakistan”, said Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Wang Wenbin yesterday on a regular press conference.
Replying to a question raised by Bloomberg asking for his comment on the attack on a convoy of vehicles carrying Chinese nationals in southwest Pakistan which claimed the lives of two children and injured three others including a Chinese national, Wang said that China is shocked by and condemns this incident, mourns for the Pakistani personnel killed in the attack, expresses sympathy to their families and the injured, and urges the Pakistani side to hold the perpetrators accountable as soon as possible and severely punish them.
“The Pakistani side has properly treated the wounded Chinese national, and expressed that all-out measures will be taken to ensure the security of the Chinese personnel and projects”, he added.
Wang also calls for joint efforts from the region to counter terrorism, saying, “Terrorism is a common enemy for mankind. China firmly opposes using terrorism to seek geopolitical gains by any force, and calls on regional countries to work together to eradicate all terrorist groups to safeguard security and development interests of all countries.”
In response to the claim that protests have also broken out in Pakistan over the weekend of last week over China's presence in the region, Wang said, “As for the protests you mentioned, what you said is not in line with facts.”
On August 20, a motorcade of the Gwadar East Bay Expressway project was attacked by a bomber on the way to the construction site. One Chinese national suffered minor injuries, and multiple local personnel were injured or killed.